At Peel Park Primary School and Nursery we have a dedicated Parental Involvement Officer, Mrs Sabina Awan.
Mrs Awan speaks, reads and writes both English and Urdu and can speak fluent Punjabi and has lived in Bradford for many years and knows where to access lots of different services for our families. Mrs Awan has been part of our school team for the last nine years as an Intervention Officer while working with children in and out of the classroom. As a parent of a child attending our school, Mrs Awan is very passionate about having easy access to a variety of courses and workshops to benefit our families. She is very approachable and welcomes all into school even if it’s just for a friendly chat.
Some of the things parents/carers have access to include:
1. Maths and English workshops.
2. Phonics (reading) workshops.
3. Weekly drop in coffee mornings.
4. Help and advice on parents/carers who separate and where they stand legally with regards their child(ren). Advice for both parents is always given equally.
5. Help with claiming benefits and free school meals.
6. Regular meetings with the line managers (formally) and with the Headteacher (informally) on a regular basis with feedback, ideas or suggestions.
7. Help with paperwork, e.g. when seeking asylum or British citizenship.
8. Home visits to check on the welfare of some of our families and offer assistance if needed.
9. Help in contacting Food Banks or other places of need.
10. Access to see the school nurse or other professionals with regards to your child(ren)’s development or for flu vaccinations.
Mrs Awan is based near the main school office in our main reception/entrance, every morning so please pop in and say hello. Parents are welcomed to have a friendly chat or to discuss any matter that involves their child(ren) or any help with finding a specific course to enhance their skills.
Below is a list of upcoming courses for parents. These will take place outside initially. For more information, please speak to Mrs Awan.